Monday, September 9, 2013

Saving Rock and Roll

So I went to see Fall Out Boy (with openers Panic! At The Disco and 21 Pilots) last night at Liacouras Center at Temple University in Philadelphia. I know this is technically a blog about TV shows, but I also posted about my Green Day show, and I talk about movies, and the title is justifiably entertaining. And all those are forms of entertainment. So without further ado...

So once again I had floor tickets. My friend and I waited in line for three hours, and then in the crowd for an hour, waiting for 21 Pilots to come on. I had planned to listen to 21 Pilots weeks before the show, but it didn't happen. They were really good. They both had amazing energy, and their music is unique and exciting. They were quite a few people in the crowd singing along and basically everyone was moving in some way.

Then. It was time for Panic! At The Disco. Now, Panic! is a huge part of the reason I begged my friend to go with me to this tour. I've adored Panic! since their first album A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. And they've only gotten better and better since. Unfortunately for me (and possibly others, I'm not a mind reader) my favorite member (person) drummer, Spencer Smith was not drumming. Due to personal reasons.* However. They absolutely killed it. Brendon Urie (singer) has an amazing voice, and is definitely not afraid to show it off. He was hitting high notes every time he could sneak one in. They only played ten songs, but each one was spectacularly done. I actually blew out my voice screaming the words back at them. I couldn't stop grinning the entire time. And the rest of the crowd were just as into it as I was. Jumping, screaming, and waving their arms about.

And soon after, Fall Out Boy (here on known as FOB) took the stage. I am a HUGE FOB fan. When they took their hiatus four years ago, I was terrified they would never come back. But they did. In a huge way. I should start by saying that their new album Save Rock and Roll is a perfect album. Not one song is skipable. Just like all their other albums. This was my first time seeing them live, so I was extremely excited. And the months of waiting, the sore shoulders and throat that I have right now, totally. worth. it. It was one of the best shows I have ever been to. In every way. From the lights, to the videos playing behind them, to the balloons during "Young Volcanoes." It's hard to pin down what was my favorite moment of the set. Perhaps it was during the song "Save Rock and Roll" when they played a slideshow of iconic bands and artists and chanted along with the crowd to the ending notes,. Or Joe Trohman's and Andy Hurley's solos. Maybe when Brendon Urie came out to sing "20 Dollar Nosebleed" and back flip off a riser. It could be Pete's inspirational speeches, or when he had everyone in the stands do the wave. They played my favorite song from the new album live. Or maybe it was Patrick Stump accidentally kicking a mic stand into a girl's face and being really apologetic about it. (She was absolutely fine, and he was adorable about it.) Maybe it was the acoustic set they played in the middle of the set on a riser smack dab in the center of the crowd.

Truth is. I don't have a favorite moment. Because I loved every second. And there are too many moments that I could write about. I wish there was a way to make you feel what I feel, and felt, after seeing them live. Because its the kind of happiness and excitement and awe that I just can't seem to accurately put into words. Even out loud I just keep saying to people "I'm just SO HAPPY!" and flailing my arms around. It was amazing. Simply. Amazing.


*if you are curious about this situation you can google it

Thanks to my friend Jess for going with me and driving.

falloutboy.com
panicatthedisco.com    both these websites have information about the tour and music if you are interested.

Obviously the opinions about the music and this whole experience is personal and pertains only to me. But it seemed like everyone there was enjoying themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment