Monday, September 23, 2013

Searching. While Hiding.*

Following the recent theme of shows with female leads, I want to tell you about the most recent show I caught up on. A show called Lost Girl. Don't let "girl" fool you. Bo, the main character of this supernatural series, is far from girlhood.

The Canadian show revolves around the (new) life of a woman named Bo, who has been running from her past and herself since she was a teenager. Why has she been running? Well...whoever she has sex with dies. Let me explain. During the first episode we, and Bo, discover that she is part of a race called Fae, and her specific species is called succubus. And succubus feed on the sexual "chi" of others. Since she grew up not knowing that she was Fae, she did not learn how to control her abilities, hence the trail of happy dead bodies. She is told that she must choose light or dark Fae life, because that is how things work in that world, and she refuses to align herself.

And so begins three seasons of awesome. Bo is a bad-ass, bisexual, strong-willed woman, who is not ashamed of her need for sex. The fact that no one ever calls her a "slut" is another reason I love this show. There is a host of strong female characters. Bo, her best friend Kenzi, Lauren the doctor, Bo's first love interest's new girlfriend. I could go on.

I'm so glad to watch a show where there are more recurring strong female characters than male characters. There are lots of shows with male leads, and not many with female mains like Bo. She is respected by the other characters. She is a leader. That is exactly what I want from my favorite characters.

There are three seasons of this show. The first two are on Netflix, but since the third just ended you'll have to find it elsewhere. I believe the fourth season starts in November. However. It is a Canadian show on a Canadian channel. So we might have to wait until it gets online to watch it.

*I should note that the title is from the theme. Which is one of the most ridiculous and annoying themes I have ever encountered. It is literally the only thing I dislike about the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment